Skip to content
Advertisements

Today Was A Good Day

Today I read my kids 8 books. A couple of them multiple times. I made them homemade paleo shepherds pie. I played in rain puddles with them. I did their laundry and got on my hands and knees to scrub the floors so they’d have a clean place to play. I cuddled them, bathed them and taught them. Everything was going so well. I even had the audacity to be like, “man, these kids have it made.”

Then it happened. The one thing that comes and tries to steal your mom joy. That one moment when you let your guard down and your toddler ruins everything. (Kidding, of course.   Kinda.)

At the end of the night when Lina was cleaning up her toys, she pulled an end table over and it landed on Leya’s noggin. The same table I’ve told her to get off of more times than I can count. And just like that, all of my day’s accomplishments fly straight out the freaking window.

I run towards the girls and of course stub my toe on the way, splitting it wide open. Because, go big or go home, am I right? The edge of the table split Leya’s head open, so between that and my foot, there’s freaking blood everywhere. Leya’s screaming ’cause she’s hurt, Lina’s screaming ’cause she’s about 96% sure she just murdered her mom and sister, and I’m screaming ’cause my foot is missing pieces and my poor little baby is hurt.

It looks like a really lame episode of Dexter happened in my dining room.

I do the annoying friend thing and start sending pictures of Leya’s boo-boo to my nurse friends to ask about survival rates, and then call my husband (crying of course)…because why not let everyone join my panic party? And for a split second, I let myself believe that this was all my fault and that I should have somehow prevented it.

Just like every other parent, I beat myself up about the “should haves”. I “should have” moved that table after the 20th time I told Lina to stop climbing on it. I “should have” been close enough to catch the table. I “should have” used my superpowers to stretch my arm 15 feet to block Leya’s head.

Realistically, sh*t happens. ESPECIALLY when there are kids involved. I mean literally and figuratively, there is just sh*t everywhere, all the time.

But for every crap situation, there are a hundred great ones.

My girls may get hurt at times, they may get sick, they may get yelled at–but they never question how much they’re cared for. Just because 1% of our day wasn’t great, that doesn’t mean the other 99% goes out the window. We just have to clean the wound, smear on some neosporin and move on.

Leya stopped crying and bleeding after a few seconds and it took Lina even less time than that to stop caring. Shocking, I know.

There are going to be days when you feed your kids three square meals, they mind their manners the entire day and you teach them how to build rockets and read sheet music. I just laughed out loud, too, don’t worry. Then there will be days when they watch 176 episodes of VeggieTales and eat nothing but goldfish and fruit snacks.

And then there will be the in-between days like today when you think you’re doing so well and everything falls apart. You can let it all burn to the ground because of one silly thing which, by the way,  could have been MUCH worse, or you can just move on. I cleaned the wounds, cleaned the mess, comforted my girls and threw the table down the basement stairs.

Today was a good day because I let it go.

P.S. You’re welcome for getting Elsa’s voice stuck in your head for the rest of the week.

Advertisements
One Comment Post a comment
  1. This is great! So true. Mom life is so hard but so worth it!

    Liked by 1 person

    July 25, 2017

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: